Year 2019

Note:- To view any image in a higher resolution just click on that image.
Also, there are many other photographs on this subject held on file

  After reading the Gelcoating and Headlining sections I’m sure you will agree that we very much needed a break and Christmas 2018 was indeed welcome.   Starting the year of 2019 with fresh ideas we gathered our thoughts and our first inspection of the recently fitted new rear windows.  This allowed us to clean the area, complete the installation of the rear of ADAT’s removable Headlining panels and move stowed items into that area in tern giving us much needed working space in the other cabins.  We then concentrated on outstanding work remaining from a contractor with installation of new front windows, remaining window frames, heads roof and then as much of the remaining (now delayed) Winter Maintenance Tasks as time would permit.  We took stock of our situation and knowing the difficulty in sourcing and obtaining another professional contractor with such an urgent task at such short notice, reluctantly decided to undertake the remaining work ourselves.   I say “we” as our Partners and Volunteers individual skills are extensive (Electro/Mechanical Engineering, Carpentry, Computing, Electronics, etc) and we are mostly qualified to Yachtmaster Offshore level with many years and much varied experience.
I had the skills and knowledge of our current problems since I had replaced ALL the windows (and doors) so many years ago and understood what was to be done including reinstallation of the window frames.  The time of year and expected weather (cold, snow, etc) was going to test us so we had to be ingenious.  We erected a “tent” type of coverage over the Front windows with further insulation over the window apertures themselves.  Heating would be covered by our ships 4 kW Webasto heating.   Ongoing was the addition of new “Lining” (Stripes) to the hull with the names ADAT & KELT 39 and a larger ADAT on the Transom.   With such a high class of gelcoat we all were rather reluctant to cover it in any way however we agreed that some lining would enhance the look making it look longer and sleeker. Finally using our carpentry skills we repaired, re-veneered, stained and varnished the Heads roof before reinstalling and lastly plugged all the mounting holes left by the contractor.   Photos of this work will be covered in the Modifications section.   See Modifications.

Looking aft to Sails, Stack pack, Dodgers, Galley items, etc

   Now in February we are seeing the end of the most expensive 4 contractor project Adat has seen and this with contractor complications we certainly did not expect and lately temperatures well below freezing with rain & snow to contend with but it was coming together.   March soon came and a rush to complete all external work (antifouling, etc) and any work requiring mains electricity (vacuum cleaning, pressure washing, etc).  There was still more assembling to be completed and most of the yacht was still looking like a tip but it was all in hand and with such luck we had very good weather.   It was actually coming together and those cleaned and finished parts of our “new” yacht were looking very good indeed.   Soon it was April with confused but improving workable weather and all the external work completed she was launched however much was still to be done to make her presentable (see pic).  On her pontoon mooring and using a portable generator for mains power we bent on the Stack pack and Sails, stowed, tidied, cleaned, hoovered, screwed, bolted, fitted, etc until she was fit for sea and ready for the next Partner to take her off her mooring and proudly show her off.

  Although there was still a small amount of tidying to do plus investigation of a possible engine overheating fault she went on a short passage.  The very last of the “tasks” were completed and the engine tested for temperature proving to be well within limits thus pointing the fault to an secondary Engine Temperature Display, Connecting cable or a Temperature Sender.  The investigation could now continue at a less urgent pace.
Whilst some of my Partners took Adat across the Channel in May, my first sail this year was to be on “Elizabeth-A” for the YOSC Island Harbour event, a yacht that in pre “ADAT” days was to be my final choice and one I am very familiar with. See Elizabeth.   I still have Sciatica so cannot take up Skipper duties being unfair and possibly dangerous to do so especially now I am awaiting an operation but I am eager to undertake “light” duties on any other boat.
The beginning of June now and I am at last on Adat for the YOSC Bembridge BBQ event with one of my Partners as Skipper.  First time on Adat this year.   We slipped Wicormarine late afternoon on a Monday and sailed to Sparks marina with me on the helm.  This is normally the Skippers job but since I am still suffering from Sciatica, now awaiting an operation and unable to use Ropes and Fenders, I was put on the helm.   First time for me parking Adat for at least 9 months but like riding a bike it soon came back and with some gusty strong winds partially sheltered by the odd large motor boat making it tricky pulling on all my reserves of experience.   The following day we sailed to Beaulieu marina for a pint or two in the Master Builder dining on board.   Wednesday we sailed to Bembridge for the days YOSC events.  They had dredged and could now guarantee 2 Metres above chart datum so all of our boats could arrive and moor without touching although our Commodore no less decided that with 1.9 M draft even this much depth wasn’t enough and cancelled.  As we arrived we were greeted by non other than Gordon Wight himself and we were made very welcome.  Firstly was the excellent Pontoon Party organised by one of our members.   Kegs, bottles and tins of beer and wine on a pontoon table and a huge spread of food with more on board his own boat and even more being cooked in his on-board microwave.   It just kept on coming.   Now that’s the way to organise a Pontoon Party, not just a bottle of wine and some crisps.  Fantastic!   Along the way on the Duver pontoon was a rather dirty & scruffy Westerly Centaur yacht with the engine running.  There were 2 young lads on board scratching their heads wondering why there was so little water coming from the exhaust.   I gave my two peneth going through the obvious when they admitted they didn’t have a clue as they only bought the yacht that day.  We all were rather surprised when they said they only paid £1,500 for it.  A bargain by all accounts.   By evening the exhausted water was fine and by morning they were gone.  What a bargain to buy a yacht that will take them around for the next 10 years at least all around Normandy and Brittany.  The evening came too soon but took us to our BBQ.  We had the use of 2 gas BBQ’s and ate in a large marquee although it was dry it was just a touch chilly.  After for us it was back on board, a few drinks and rest.  A late rise the following day and slip sailing home for Wicormarine.   Slipping wasn’t a straight forward easy task and we had to spring rather a long way before we could let go but it was well planned and went as expected.  Fuelling up on route at Gosport, mooring at Wicor and home.   Another excellent event.

Beaulieu Master Builder.
Sign for Dogs.
Why, they cant read?

Hydration on tap
but only for the dogs

Shipwright workshop work mainly for schools

Anchoring timbers

Holding a pint looking south east down river from our table outside the Master Builder in the early evening at Beaulieu

We start enjoying ourselves

Andy & Alan cooking

Most of us now eating

The £1,500 Westerly Centaur

  Mid June and I should be on for the YOSC Summer Cruise but with my Sciatica I have had to turn down all interested crew and forgo the Cruise.  Another disappointment but health comes first.   It was a shame to waste my now 2 spare weeks so I cobbled together a few crew for a weekend of just getting on the water albeit practise or helping each other learn new tricks.  One was a recently qualified non boat-owner Yachtmaster Offshore and the other Day Skipper so we were adequately crewed.   Since the winds were south to south west we decided to shelter overnight in Newtown Creek however when we hit F7/8 we opted for Cowes.   Cowes itself was pretty full mainly due to reservations for the many races in the Solent but we managed a berth in East Cowes Marina however we were informed that there might be another yacht berthing alongside.   This worried me especially after our expensive Hull Gelcoating.   I needn’t have worried as they never came.  A stroll to Cowes itself and the Real Ale House in the high street where we bumped into three crew from another YOSC yacht awaiting the weather to calm down so that they could cross the Channel and start their Summer Cruise in the Channel Islands.   I’m jealous already!  A few pints and later we dined in the Island Sailing Club.   It was rather too painful for me to walk back to East Cowes so we took a Water Taxi which took us very close to Adat, an easy walk.  The following day we slipped under Genoa alone sailing all the way to Portsmouth entrance and then motored back to our berth at Wicormarine.  Berthing wasn’t easy by far as we were blown off by very strong winds but I managed a manoeuvre I had completed several times in the past and this time again it didn’t let us down.   Another easy mooring albeit time consuming.   Great weekend and I enjoyed being spoilt (again).
  My Sciatica it seems has finally got the better of me and I am due to have a multiple operation (Decompression AND Fusion) resulting in several months of recovery so yes it seems I now have to face the fact that the remainder of this year has again definitely “gone dry”.   Oh well, I expect my Partners will be edging me on with the Winter Maintenance and this of course in moderation should help my recovery however unfortunately I will not be allowed to lift any heavy weights for some 4 months.  What sailing next year?  I’m not even going to think of it.   One consolation though is for some unknown reason I am gaining moderate pain free movement although limited in time which is giving me the impetus to sail more.
Early August now and I have filled in for one of my Partners for the YOSC weekend event to the Dan Bran pontoon in Lymington.   It wasn’t my intention but some of my crew persuaded me to change my mind.  It didn’t take much.   With 4 in total on board I was back in the old routine of vittling and passage planning again and boy did it feel good.  Boarded on the Friday evening to settle-in slipping Saturday morning at a leisurely time.   One thing we didn’t expect was the start of the Fastnet race with some 400 boats all in the Cowes/Southampton area which of course we had to cross.  One of my crew opted to do the passage planning for the forward route.  She had been trained but this was her first for real and she didn’t have the confidence to actually do it and have it relied upon.   She was soon put at ease and on this day there were many interruptions to the schedule dodging other yachts and changing course but of course with no accuracy required she remained at ease.  It was a feather in her cap to have done it this time for real and most importantly understand exactly what was going on all the time.  With this inspired new confidence maybe she will have another go?  By the time we arrived near Cowes the race had started and there were around 200 of the slower, smaller boats now in the West Solent with the faster and bigger yachts still to start.   We crabbed our way motor sailing through the smaller boats in a dying wind just before the faster boats reached us and we then entered Lymington harbour.  Nine YOSC boats eventually arrived mooring no more than 2 abreast with free electricity (well at least paid for in our mooring fee).   Drinks were to be hosted by “Rhapsody” starting at 1800 but Adat was invited on board around 1600.  Dinner was in the Royal Lymington Yacht Club and as expected, it was excellent.  After, we were invited back on board “Rhapsody” for a “port” night-cap then finally, bed.  Sunday we slipped again at a leisurely time but this time with a stronger wind in a better direction we sailed all the way.  What a change.   It was warm but overcast all the way to Portsmouth when all of a sudden the shy cleared, the sun came out as if to greet us and then it got very hot.  This was my first Skipper sail on Adat for a very long time and it made me feel good

YOSC Dinner at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club

YOSC Dinner at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club

YOSC Dinner at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club

YOSC Dinner at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club

John Weale

Steve Hennah

Sam Picknell

Tony, Mike & Pam share a joke

  Middle of August and the YOSC Midweek Marchwood BBQ event.    The BBQ was at an early stage to be the portable disposable type with no shelter from the evening weather or cook on board if wet which almost resulted in us cancelling however Marchwood Sailing Club promised a marquee sited adjacent to the club Bar sufficient for 50 persons with tables & chairs, 2 Gas BBQs and a large steel table for disposable BBQs and BBQ tools.  The clubs bar remained open.    Also just inside their boat yard is a sink with running hot & cold water and full facilities.   Overall it was now looking a much better bet.   Our monitoring of the weather paid off with just a little change.  The forecasted wind was still around 30 knots with directions we could use (for both Wednesday and our return passage on Thursday) and the thunder & lightening gone but best of all the rain was due to cease before we started our evenings BBQ proceedings.   Well we were down to 3 boats and 8 persons (one being 7 years young).  Adat by now had purchased our vittles and undertaken some kitchen preparation and we could make use of the winds albeit after we had exited Portsmouth so we were still on.   Wednesday mid morning and Adat slipped our base at Wicormarine in F3 then F4/5 but the sea state remained far less than 1 metre and not too wet.  Past Gilkicker Point and we flew in a now F6 in a southerly.   Just general rain and the odd heavy shower but for a time up Southampton waters continuous heavy rain blotting out any sign of the land or sea making us use that round thingy, er compass.  Max wind for the day was 26 knots, just a little less than forecast.  To our surprise on reaching Marchwood's pontoon there was Fou de Bassan to give us a hand.  We were rather protected so mooring was not as bad as we expected.   As soon as the kettle boiled along came Octavia and like us, suitable wet having sailed most of the way. After lunch and meeting up with all of our Fleet (again) listening to the inevitable sailing "stories" we made plans for the evenings BBQ.  We expected to have shelter on at least 3 sides which of course a Marquee would have but not this one.  I would have to say this was most certainly a Gazebo and open on all sides.  The tables and chairs were very wet from the days rain proving the lack of protection.   We found 2 dry tables to set our 3 vessels goods and enough dry seats.  I lit the BBQ nearest us at one end of the Gazebo which also had a cover to allow it to warm up quicker.   With 6 burners I found 2 fully working, the middle 2 had collapsed probably rusted and another 2 with malfunctioning controls.   Certainly not what we expected.   There was another BBQ at the other end of the Gazebo but that was a flat, open and although lit was not used for cooking.   We didn't see any signs of lighting inside the Gazebo (probably on the ends of the adjacent buildings).  Overall a pretty poor show and one I will certainly skip in the future.  Best of all though, was  the rain had stopped.   Adat’s evening BBQ meal comprised of a burger, chicken breast marinated for 24 hrs, boiled new potatoes with butter (hot from our galley), coleslaw, rocket and a rice pepper & peas mix accompanied with red wine.   Much of the remaining potatoes and rice mix went to the other crews, and all agreed the meal was the best yet.  Of course, the little bits make it.  After, it was entertainment for all on Adat for the remainder of the evening.
Thursday morning we slipped with the wind blowing us of, motored then raised the Genoa in what was now a westerly but even though it was early morning the wind was building rather quickly soon reaching well over 30 knots.  Once in to the Solent turning east the lack of wind for the day before was more than made up and we registered 35 to 40 knots with one gust hitting 45 knots.   This of course pushed Adat along quite nicely thank you with us making 8½ knots.  Once inside Portsmouth harbour we had to fill our fuel tanks for the oncoming Skipper but the wind made it far too dangerous.  Our next problem was mooring to our pontoon with F6/7 blowing us off.   Since I had encountered this before on several occasions it presented no problem and we motored bow onto the pontoon attaching a bow line then with a long line winched the boat alongside the pontoon making off the springs and warps.  Well, that was the way I had in mind however once we had the bow line attached and started winching in, the wind direction had changed the wrong way.   The best plans etc.   I said to the crew “look here, I make 1000 bad choices to every 1 good”, er well it goes something like that doesn’t it?
Overall it was an experience, enjoyable BBQ food and what always goes with a YOSC event, very good company.

Adat & Fou de Bassan

Marquee between adjoining buildings

Pam, Nick, Dylan, Mike & myself

Octavia (Graham, John & John)

Midshipman Dylan

Our YOSC Fleet

Adat entertains the YOSC Fleet in the evening

Mike and Pam

  August Bank holiday and the YOSC Chichester event this year with a Real Ale (with ciders) & Live Jazz festival on the Saturday.  A YOSC event to Chichester this time Skippered by one of my Partners giving us 4 days on board.
Friday midday 5 of us boarded Adat and soon after slipped motor/sailing to Chichester passing through the free-flow lock, mooring and ready for pre dinner or late afternoon or arrival drinks (is an excuse needed?).   We soon found “Elizabeth-A” and “Fou de Bassan” had already arrived.   After a delightful dinner we just had to exercise our legs onwards to the Yacht club to cool off in the 25 deg heat.   Before dusk I couldn’t help but take a pic of the yacht masts reflecting in the very still waters of the marina.
Saturday after breakfast we split up going our own way meeting other YOSC boats doing our own thing.  This was followed by a light lunch on board and preparation for the 1630 Pontoon party which we were hosting on board Adat.  By this time the heat forced us to erect our very long Bimini which covers both cockpit and saloon (transom to mast). We were expecting the crews of some 6 boats, 3 of which we had already met, 2 more “Aibrean” & “Phoenix” permanently moored in the marina and the crew of another who drove to the marina not able to gain entry due to their draft. In total some 16 persons on board (and Adat did not even wobble).  After the party, a quick cleanup, change and head to the Yacht club for the YOSC dinner all meeting again.  There was the normal excellent choice of food from the restaurant or a pre cooked BBQ selection plus of course drinks from the bar including the real ale and cider selections and this all accompanied by jazz musicians playing in the background.   The downside (if you could call it that) was the heat even with all the windows and doors open it was HOT.  After our dinner we all adjourned to the garden to rest and contemplate the cooling air getting together talking to both new and old friends.   This of course also gave us the opportunity to experience and photograph the superb sunset. The club certainly presents an advantageous point for taking photos with the sun resting after a long day just over the distant trees, moored boats in the foreground and the sky colours being just out of this world.  The evening finished with a slow stroll back to Adat and a night-cap.
Sunday most went walkies but since I felt I might have over did the walking on Saturday I rested undertaking some non urgent maintenance (light exercise). One even making way to the south of Hayling Island to meet family (bus, train, bus). Today’s walk took some to pubs others just a local stroll meeting back on board for lunch.   The afternoon was just enjoyment and appreciation of the days just gone.  In the evening it was evident that all the Swallows in the area chose to meet and rest in the yachts rigging and skimming the water catching the late afternoons food.
Monday we had to say good bye after what was planned and indeed turned out to be the best Chichester Yacht Club event to date and all thanks to the one YOSC member who organised the event. Oh, and yes at 0830 it was still very hot. On arrival at our home port at Wicormarine we took advantage of the new walk-ashore berths especially as the Skipper and wife were staying on board overnight for the next joining crew.

In the heat of midday motor/sailing to Chichester

Mast reflections in the evening still waters

All 16 YOSC members on board for our “Pontoon Party”

Evening meal in the Chichester Yacht Club

A glorious sunset from Chichester Yacht Club’s garden

After our evening meal we reflect on the days activities

Sunday and an evening in the quiet of our cockpit

Sunday and an evening in the quiet of our cockpit

Swifts gathering on yacht masts around us in the evening

  well it looks like the end of my sailing for this season but I would consider I have done good this year in view of my back condition and now in September I have at last a date for my Operation.   First though pay tradesmen for work on a Log Cabin that under normal circumstances I would do myself. Then when erected pay again to treat all the timber inside and out with protection (preserver, staining and waterproofing), another job I would normally be able to do myself. After that run an electrical supply for both Power and Lighting (something I actually did myself) and then Pay again to cut and lay small flag stones around 3 sides of the Cabin onto a weed barrier and lastly lay a small patio base in the front allowing us the pleasure of relaxing in the evenings setting sun (with maybe a glass of something)? All this was also complicated with a planned holiday in India which in the end was reluctantly postponed to the following year due again directly to my disability.
Now with an operation date of Bonfire Night I will be looking forward to some proper sailing in the forthcoming year.   That of course didn’t happen (Murphy’s Law?) and the story continues in the Home Page.